Wednesday, January 20, 2010

French Press Expert-> To Fumbler


Three problems this week with my most used possession, The French Press

1. Cooking chili in a small Manhattan kitchen is a chore in itself. Chopping up all the ingredients on a counter thats mostly taken up by the drying rack that I just bought at Kmart. There I was reaching for the parsley in one of my one cabinets (well not that bad, but it feels like I only have one). and BAM, While reading and reaching if the spice was parsley I knocked the basil off the second shelf of the cabinet, right into my french press. Glass goes EVERYWHERE in the kitchen. Im sure there will be the few remains of glass for the next few weeks.

2. Picked up a new french press at a Starbucks on Broadway. Everything went smoothly until, I did it again. Ive left my backpack, my keys, my laptop, my student Id, my credit card EVERYWHERE in this city from a bookstore to restaurants, to coffee shops. So without fail I left my keys at the counter. Went to unlock my bike, and no keys. Went back, a manager picked them up. THANKFULLY. Im always thankful about people who keep stuff for when I return. Everytime I leave something somewhere, usually its there when I return. When I went back to ask for the keys, a woman said "you're so lucky that he was kind, especially in New York City." My response "Im lucky everytime, and I think this city can be the kindest in some ways, like holding on to keys" She gave me a confused look and moved on.

3. New French Press, Was making coffee and making a smoothie at the same time, Just poored the coffee, went to reach for a class for the smoothiee while the french press is brewing. Clumsy me again in the small kitchen knocked over the freshly poored coffee with the grounds going again, everywhere. Grounds and shreds of glass will now inhabit this apartment with me, probably till I leave. Clean up was not the worst part, but the fact that i couldn't use those grounds, which of course are imported from Dunn Brothers in Minneapolis. Good thing my saint of a friend Will gave me a second bag.

1 comment:

Raquel said...

Poor Andrew! Are you going to get another French Press??? I was looking forward to coffee from it this summer.