Friday, March 21, 2008

Jon Hassler- Minnesota Culture


Jon Hassler is one of the nations best modern authors, who unfortunately passed away yesterday. The one book of his that stood out to me was Staggerford which is about a single younger middle aged English teacher, and his trials and tribulations with students peers, and community members in a small Minnesota town. In my eyes the reason his books are so memorable is the fact that he has found Culture in what I have doomed in a non-culture society.

What I see: Consumer driven strip-mall after strip-mall in the car, listening to music that is somehow not my culture going to a movie that is based in a different culture to escape the non consumer culture here.

Jon Hassler saw: Simple everyday culture. Hot chocolate on a Friday evening going to the local high school football game. The human connection between neighbors, and the tribulations that everyone has, and no one has quite the best answer. He found culture, no matter how simple it was. No it wasn't Romantic Paris, or the Plays in London, but the culture is ours.

I remember studying abroad in Rome with this eccentric Italian Literature professor, Carmela. (Think of a strong Italian women with her two figers and her thumbs hitting her chest when she says her name: "CAR-mellA") While she was in love with her own Roman culture, she couldn't get enough of Jon Hassler, and the picture that he painted of Minnesota and middle American culture.

I write this serious blog post not to be a debbie downer- but to set the tone for this blog. "Finding culture in a consumer risen society" And hopefully I can take lessons from Jon Hassler and find the culture wherever I am.

(P.S. also have respect for him because in High School I emailed him questions for my book report and he emailed me back the same day with a GREAT list of detailed answers. He also was a graduate and Writer in Residence at my alma matter, St. John's University, He touched my life even though he has no idea who I am)

No comments: