Monday, February 8, 2010

Williamsburg Biking extravaganza.


According to my friend Paul, Williamsburg, is not bike friendly. In-fact on the main drag Bedford Avenue, People in the neighborhood tried to get rid of bike lanes.

Now I don't want to seem anti-semetic, PLEASE don't take this post this way, this is just my observations.

I bike from Kips Bay Manhattan, to Bedstuy. To do this I go through the very observant Jew neighborhood. Now I have had NO physical or verbal exchanges with this culture group in South Williamsburg, But I do have to bike there If I don't want to pay 2.25 each way to go to work. (Thats one beer both ways in a bar).

First off Bikesnobnyc.blogspot.org (thanks to my friend Paul) told everyone that there is going to be missing bike lane in this neighborhood on Bedford Avenue. My return trips main drag.

Im no hipster, and most people would think I am if I bike here, but its just my carbon free- saving for beer way-thrill seeking way of traveling.

Okay, Ways this community doesn't like bikers.
1. This is the land of the Honda Odyssey and BIG SUV's. YEp there is a neighborhood in Brooklyn that is known for this.
Sub Problems with BIG cars in Brooklyn
A. Every woman (who always has a stroller) that walks perpendicular in the middle of the street cause they can't see around their cars when walking.
B. Bad driving in New York City, Erratic
C. Doors fly open FAST here,
D. No one watches for bikers here, just cars watch out for cars.
2. They DID get rid of bike lanes! WHY????????????????
3. The Buses Stop Diagonal to let kids out. WITHOUT FLASHING LIGHTS till the VERY END.
A. Safe for kids, MAYBE, but not for Bikers.
4. ITs just a weird subsection of Brooklyn where you just don't feel welcomed. Especially Bikers. Doesn't feel bad when a sub group just doesn't invite another group to be part of their neighborhood, no matter your race, color, religion, or sexual identity?

Pic of Bike Lane getting ripped up (the bikes on the lane are paint thinned out) THe massive amounts of vans on the right, and the diagonal bus on the left. Yes Im close to the front of the diagonal bus, cause it almost caused me to be in an accident.

No comments: